I posted a few of these over the years, this one is the most crisp and well-done of the ones I have seen:
Recently, I started to realize that pages were taking a long time to load. When I finally became conscious of this, I looked into it. DNS resolution was tasking forever. After a few weeks of ignoring the problem and playing tricks with my provider’s router, I decided to Google my way out of the problem. Sure enough, googling led me to Google’s Public DNS Servers. There are two, 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11. I set up my router to use these and kept my machine configs simple, whereby they specify the router (192.168.1.1).
This still worked like crap.
So, I went and changed every one of my machines to use custom DNS, changing network settings from 192.168.1.1 to 18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124. Viola, DNS lookup is now instantaneous. This has already made a HUGE impact on the user experience. The speedup is really kind of miraculous and I’m frustrated that I even had to deal with it.
I made sure to change the DNS config on both the wired/wireless connections for my laptop, too.
If you have similar problems, try the Google Public DNS Servers. The extra configuration might be worth it.